Skip to content

AWAL First: Week of April 2


We have incredible artists releasing tons of new music each week, some of which claim a spot on our AWAL First playlist — a playlist dedicated to featuring some of the top-performing tracks in the AWAL catalogue for the week based on playlist adds, streams, and listeners.

This week we’ll be taking a closer look at the newest artists added to AWAL First Playlist, covering new music through AWAL from Lauv, R3HAB & Skytech, and Kolohe Kai.

1. Chasing Fire — Lauv

Lauv’s newest track “Chasing Fire” had a massive debut weekend, scoring almost 2.1 million streams from over a million listeners.

Major Playlist Adds

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.16.02 PM

In addition to a whopping 31 New Music Friday adds around the world, “Chasing Fire” was added to several super popular US Spotify playlists including Teen Party, Workout, and Today’s Top Hits.

Apple Music also showed “Chasing Fire” a lot of love, adding it to playlists including Best of the Week, Today’s Hits, and Pure Pop. 

Also, Lauv was the cover of Spotify’s Hits Banget!

AWAL Insights™: Just over half (52%) of all of “Chasing Fire’s” streams came from playlists.

2. Hyperspace — R3HAB & Skytech

In its first weekend of release, “Hyperspace” earned over 135,000 streams from more than 102,000 listeners.

Major Playlist Adds

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.22.21 PM

“Hyperspace” was added to five New Music Friday playlists along with genre-based playlists like Spotify’s Electro Mix and Bass Explosion.

AWAL Insights™: The guys are really digging “Hyperspace” — 65% of its streams were from male listeners. The remaining 35% came from women.

3. Heartstrings — Kolohe Kai

Kolohe Kai’s “Heartstrings” experienced a great first weekend with almost 80,000 streams from over 14,000 listeners.

Major Playlist Adds

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.27.51 PM

“Heartstrings” showed up on two Hawaiian-music-based playlists, Hawaiian Reggae and Island Music (Hawaiian and Reggae), along with Apple Music’s Best of the Week.

AWAL Insights™: Los Angeles was the city streaming “Heartstrings” most (with 15,506 streams). In second place? Honolulu, of course! The Hawaiian capital was close behind with 15,421 streams.


Stay on top of all the latest trends in the industry by subscribing to the AWAL Weekly. We’ll shoot posts straight to your inbox every Tuesday!